A sister, Myrtle Kerr, of my wife’s brother-in-law Max Kerr, had a young son about fifteen years of age lying near death in the Spencer Hospital in Idaho Falls, Idaho. He had a serious case of pneumonia. Dr. Abbott tested his lungs and found them full of pus. It was very doubtful that Robert would live. The Doctor stated that an operation must be preformed the next morning in order to save his life and even at that his chances for recovery would be small.
That evening I was at Max Kerr’s home when his sister, Robert’s mother came from the hospital. She asked my wife if I held the priesthood and if I could get some one to assist. I consented and immediately called Bishop Groesbeck of the Second Ward. I had never officiated in any church ordinance except Baptism, so this was one time I really got down on my knees and prayed. When we arrived at the sick bed Myrtle asked if I would be mouth, so the Bishop anointed and I sealed the anointing. I did not follow the exact procedure, because I didn’t know it, so I just prayed without sealing the anointing. While I was praying I felt that I should promise him health and that he had a mission to perform in this life, this I did.
When I left the hospital Bishop Groesbeck reminded me that I should always seal and anointing and do it by the authority of the priesthood.
The next morning while at work, I received a phone call from Sister Kerr stating that they had taken her son to the operating room and upon a thorough examination could not find any trace of pus. The Doctor was not L.D.S. and stated, “I do not understand what has happened. I have never seen anything like that before.”
This experience was one of my first strong testimonies. February 2, 1942
The Healing of Laddie Bowen Williams
Laddie, as we call him, was in his second year. His health was rather poor due to intestinal disorders. The year before we had nearly lost him with the same trouble; thus when he became ill we were very concerned about him especially so when he failed to take nourishment for a period of three days. At the end of this time my wife, Nyal, became very anxious and five of the neighbors also came, unsolicited, to offer help and to encourage us to take him immediately to a doctor. We had consulted a physician over a telephone, but having fasted several meals and committing myself to much praying, along with my wife; I was convinced that I should place the situation in the hands of the Lord. I know from the expression of my kind and generous neighbors that they thought I was acting very stubbornly, especially when I was usually the first to advise a doctor’s care.
When Ralph Dabb, an Elder and associate school teacher came to offer the use of his car, I asked him to assist me in administering to Laddie. This we did and immediately following we departed for Idaho Falls, a distance of eight miles, to purchase some medicine at a drug store. We arrived back in about an hour and to my satisfaction and that of Ralph’s Laddie had eaten a banana and had drunk a glass of milk mixed with a raw egg, and more surprising than all was that he was playing Ring Around The Rosy with his sister Marilyn. This was another testimony to me that God lives and that he hears and answers our prayers when we place our trust in him. February 6, 1941
ACCIDENTS
An injured eye - When I was about seven years old, I injured my right eye. It happened one evening a day or two before the fourth of July. I wanted to go down to James Hofer's
As soon as they left I went to the neighbors who lived about one half mile east of our home. While there Jim, as we called him, got angry at his older sister Ruth because she told him he could not have a cap gun; so he picked up a square piece of linoleum lying near his foot and threw it at her. It sailed like boomerang through the air missing her and hitting me in the eye with it's sharp corner. Although, I learned a costly lesson in discipline, I will always carry a black mark in my right eye. For a short time I was blind but now I have a two thirds vision in that eye.
I have been very fortunate up until now in not having any serious accidents of any kind although my blessings make mention of them. February 11, 1941