January 22, 1942
I was born on 4 December 1911 at Groveland, Idaho, the only son of Peter J. Williams and Eloisa Call. I have eight full sisters, a half brother and a sister, and a stepbrother.
On the 4 February 1912, I was blessed and named by Joe E. Hart. I believe this took place at Groveland.About eight months later we moved from Groveland to a place several miles away which was about two miles East of Blackfoot. Father cleared the land, which was mostly sagebrush, and built a comfortable five-room bungalow. It was here that I spent eight years of happy childhood. It was at this home that I enjoyed the happy association of my mother. Well do I remember her doughnuts and the little handful of raisins slipped into my lunch pale, and the penny for candy that came from her small secret savings. One of them I still have. I remember how her back and legs ached after a long hard day of work, and how I would rub them to relive the pain. Yes, she was a pal of mine. But something I couldn’t understand why she would bring another baby girl into the family instead of a brother. That didn’t seem right to me. Little did I realize how badly she wanted another son, yes perhaps just for my sake, until on her death-bed she called me over by her side, took hold of my hand and said, “Son if I live I will be your little brother,” and her lips spoke no more. That meant a lot to me when a lad of eight but much, very much more since I’ve become a man. The sweet tender memories of that dear mother will accompany me through eternity.
It was during these first few years that I made my first money. There was an old Englishman living near us. He made his winter mittens out of rabbits called Belgium Hares, and so I had father kill two of them. I sold the hides to this gentleman and he gave me seventy-five cents for them. The first time I went into town I changed this to pennies. What a lot of money. The most I ever had; by purse was so full I couldn’t keep it shut. This was my first business deal.
Father was a Bishop of the First Ward in Blackfoot, Idaho during most of this time, and well do I remember the many trips to town in the buggy. I believe that this regular church activity was very wholesome, for rarely in my life have I missed church service; having traveled as far as eighty miles to attend a Sacrament Meeting.
My duty around home at this early age was to keep mother in coal and kindling and to herd the cows in the summer time. Father gave me an Indian pony-we brought home from the Indians. In a fit of rage one of the Indians had blinded his right eye with a hammer, but Billy was still a fine horse. He was about the best friend I had. Many long days in the summer we spent together.
Father worked in a grocery store “Blackfoot Mercantile” during the winter. I happened to be waiting for him in the store while they were sweeping and getting ready to close for the night. I saw a discarded receipt book stub on the floor. Picking it up I quickly concealed it in my pocket. It was of no value since it was merely small blank pieces of paper held together with two small staple clamps. However, it immediately became a treasure of mine. On our way home in the buggy father asked me what I had in my pocket. I told him nothing, so he asked me to take everything out. I emptied one pocket very slowly, but father evidently didn’t care about what was in that pocket it was the contents of the other. So with a little persuasion I removed the contents one by one, but I just couldn’t seem to find that ill-gotten receipt stub; Oh! Yes, there it was right down in the very corner. I managed to get a hold of it and with a terrible inward struggle I got it dislodged and conveyed to the surface. Father was kind enough, but the force and the significance of the lesson in honesty will go down with me to my grave.
EARLY TRIPS ~
Up until I had graduated from High School I had not been any farther away from home than Brigham City, Utah. I then went to Moscow, Idaho to college, a trip that took me first to Montana, then through the pan-handle of northern Idaho into Washington, and then back into Idaho at Moscow; this was a trip of about 800 miles. I have always believed that the expectation of this travel was the main reason for my going to college. During the following spring, my friend, Rodney Hansen, and I decided to go to Seattle, Washington. So on about March 4th we started out walking. We each had about six dollars. We caught rides, walked, slept in barns, went hungry, wore blisters, ate in restaurants, slept in hotels, saw Puget Sound in Washington, went up 27 stories on an elevator in a 42 story building, walked some more, saw both Seattle and Spokane, and arrived back home from our trip of over 1000 miles in three and a half days with fifty cents a piece in our pockets.
The summer of 1935 I was working for the Chevrolet Garage in Blackfoot. A man from Lead, South Dakota had a wreck in his new car. We didn’t have the parts for it and had to send back to the factory for them. It was necessary for he and his party to return by train, but before leaving he arranged with me to take his car back. He offered to pay the expenses for both Nyal and me. We took Marilyn, our only child then with us. We went by way of Yellowstone Park. The route took us across the northern part of Wyoming, through the Black Hills, and into Lead, South Dakota. We returned a week later via bus spending a few days in Farmington, Utah with Grandfather Casey Potter Bowen who died a few weeks ago, January 27, 1942.
.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment